Tuesday, August 10, 2010

English Crumpets Recipe

I was browsing Tastespotting last night, looking for something yummy to make.... anything yummy.  The only thing that caught my eye was lots and lots of chocolate.  I didn't want to make anything chocolate because I would really, really want to eat it.  As I browsed further and turned off my chocolate radar, I found a recipe for English Crumpets.  I didn't realize I could make these at home!  So, I got up early this morning and mixed up a batch.  I changed the recipe a bit from this one I found because I didn't want to wait and hour and a half to add the baking soda.  Below is my new recipe that allows you to make them right away without the 1 1/2 hour wait.   Basically, I used rapid rise yeast instead and threw the baking soda in right away.

This is what they looked like before I sliced them and toasted them....  Notice my homemade jelly in the picture.  It is so good on these!

I will give Sunday Hotpants a pat on the back for both posting the recipe and for her advice!  She tells you to add extra water/milk after the batter sits a while.   She is so right.  Too bad I didn't listen to her.  LOL!  My first maybe 6 or 7 crumpets turned out like crumpets.  Lots of air holes and just right, but the end of the batch started getting less and less large air holes and started turning out like English Muffins instead (heavier, but still with lots of nooks and crannies).  Well, guess what?  I love English Muffins, so I went with it.  Either way, they are awesome!    The other advice I would give, is that you cook these on low and realize they will take over an hour to cook the whole batch because you have to let them cook slowly.  Also, be sure to really butter (or Pam) the cookie cutters because they will stick and you will ruin the bubbles trying to get them out.

Okay, here is how I made them.

I have a set of round cookie cutters which are about 2 1/2 inches high, so I used the two biggest to form the crumpets.  They are about 4 inches and 3 1/2 inches across. 

English Crumpets


(recipe from Bill Granger - Sydney Food)

Makes 14 crumpets depending on your cookie cutter


1 1/2 cups of milk

1 1/2 tsp sugar

2 Tbsp of dried rapid rise yeast

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

6 1/2 fl oz water (or more if needed)

pinch of salt

Pour the milk into a saucepan and heat until just warm. Transfer into a bowl and add the sugar and yeast. Allow to stand for 10 minutes or until the milk starts to bubble.

Measure flour and salt into a bowl. Add the milk/yeast mixture to the flour and beat with an electric mixer until completely smooth. Mix the baking soda with the water and use your electric beater to combine this with the batter.

Heat a heavy  frying pan or griddle over a med/low heat and grease with a little butter.

Grease your crumpet moulds also - grease between each crumpet. Place your moulds on the hot surface and place approximately 1/4 c. of mixture inside the mould. Your first 2-3 crumpets will be a little trial and error to get your desired thickness. Your mixture will rise in the moulds.

Within a short period of time your crumpets should get small bubbles all over the surface that begin to break.


Once the top is somewhat set and the bottom is nicely golden, use an oven mit to remove the mould, gently flip the crumpet to cook the other side until golden. 

Eat hot or cool the crumpets on a cooling rack and refrigerate or freeze until you need them. 

Cut in half and toast the crumpets when you are ready to eat them.  Enjoy!


YUM!




I may just have to get myself some of these.  It would be faster to make them if I had more moulds!


Oooo... and how awesome are these with handles?  I think these would be awesome!  Maybe my
next online purchase!
RSVP Egg Ring, Set of 4RSVP Egg Ring, Set of 4

Photobucket


 
 
 
 
 
I've linked this post to ....Get Healthy Cheap
Stop by their blog party to get some budget conscious, healthy recipes!

1 comment:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

this is a friday favorite for sure! I am so glad you joined in the linky party~ or else I wouldn't have found you. :-)
Beautiful blog. Now let me spend my sunday morning with coffee and and new bloggy friend!




Blog Widget by LinkWithin